THEN/HiER Goals and Background
1. Create a more robust history education research culture in Canada as defined by:
• increasing opportunities for collaboration among scholars, educators, and other stakeholders
• increasing the circulation of Canadian and international research findings.
2. Improve history education policy across Canada by:
• promoting research on history education policy
• promoting research-informed history education policy
• nurturing dialogue among education stakeholders (including academic historians; public historians in museums, archives and historic sites; practicing teachers; researchers based in faculties of education; graduate students; policy makers and other stakeholders) about history education policy.
3. Improve history education practice by:
• increasing communication and collaboration among history education stakeholders
• disseminating research findings in educational settings
• encouraging teachers to apply history education research
• identifying and nurturing communities of practitioners
• promoting informed uses of new media within history education.
4. Develop research-informed assessment of history learning by:
• promoting research on history assessment
• disseminating research on assessment among policy makers and teachers.
5. Provide advocacy by:
• serving as a public voice for history education in Canada
• generating research-informed policy briefs.